Chickpea Salad with Zucchini, Vegan Mozzarella, and Basil
Serve this hearty salad of chickpeas, vegan mozzarella, and zucchini on its own as a first course preceding a lighter pasta dinner (see some tempting possibilities in Pasta on the Lighter Side). If you’re a basil fan, use as much as you’d like. If not, substitute another herb, like parsley.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 15- to 16-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 to 5 ounces vegan mozzarella, finely diced
- 6- to 8-ounce jar roasted peppers, cut into narrow strips
- 1 small zucchini, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped green or black olives
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon (2 to 4 tablespoons), to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Mixed baby greens, as desired, optional
Combine all the ingredients in a serving bowl and mix well. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or so before serving to allow the flavors to blend.