Italian Pasta and Bean Soup
This Italian standard, served with fresh bread and a salad, is a meal in itself.
Serves: 8 or more
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 large celery stalk, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Two 16-ounce cans cannellini (large white beans), drained and rinsed
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups ditalini (tiny tubular pasta)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil in a soup pot. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery, and sauté over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the onion is golden.
Add the beans, 6 cups water, zucchini, bay leaves, herb mix, and tomato paste. Bring to a simmer, then simmer gently, covered, until the zucchini is just tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the soup to stand for an hour or so to develop flavor.
In a separate saucepan, cook the pasta until al dente. Rinse briefly under cool water until it stops steaming. Add the parsley to the soup and heat it through. When the soup is hot, add the cooked pasta. Adjust the consistency with more water if too thick, and season with salt and pepper. Serve at once.
- Explore other delicious vegan soup recipes here at Soulful Soups.