Salad is a lot more fun when it becomes a taco salad. Incorporating all the lively flavors of tacos, this tasty salad is quick and easy to prepare, and is a great choice when you’d like a hearty main-dish salad. If you’re short on time, use the shortcuts suggested. Have it on its own for lunch; complete the meal with baked sweet potatoes, vegan quesadillas, and/or corn-on-the-cob for dinner.
- 2 corn tortillas (or see Note for shortcut)
- 2 medium firm ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 large green or red bell pepper, cut into short strips
- 1 small avocado, diced
- ½ cup black olives, chopped
- 1 cup grated vegan cheddar cheese (great with Daiya!)
- 15- to 16-ounce can pinto or black beans, drained and rinsed
- Mixed baby greens or dark green lettuce, torn, as needed
- Toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas), as desired
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves, as desired, optional
- ⅓ cup tomato sauce or good-quality ketchup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, or more, to taste
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cut the tortillas into short narrow strips. Place them in a medium-size skillet over medium heat and toast them, stirring frequently, until dry and crisp, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Combine the salad ingredients in a serving bowl. Use greens or lettuce as needed, according to the number of servings desired.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and stir together until well blended. Pour over the salad, toss well, and distribute to individual serving bowls. Divide the toasted tortilla strips to top each portion and serve at once.
Note: For a shortcut, use your favorite French or tomato-based salad dressing.
Per serving (without dressing): 517 calories; 27.5g fat; 55.4g carbs; 17.5g fiber; 15.3g protein; 876mg sodium