Not as well known in our culture as tabbouleh, which is like this, a Lebanese salad, fattouche is just as delicious. It gets its characteristic touch from the use of small bits of toasted pita bread.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 large pita breads
- 4 ripe flavorful plum tomatoes, or 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and sliced
- 3 to 4 scallions, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 small head dark green lettuce, torn, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to tast
e Toast the pita breads in a 375-degree oven or toaster oven until golden and just beginning to become crisp, about 8 minutes. When cool enough to handle, tear into bite-sized pieces or cut into 1-inch squares with kitchen shears or a sharp knife.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a serving bowl. Add the cut pita and toss again. Serve at once.
- See more of VegKitchen’s Mediterranean Diet recipes.
- Here are more recipes for colorful green salads.