Seriously—who needs fake meat when you can make hearty, beautifully textured dishes using grains and beans? This serves up deliciously on rolls, but if you’re not a bread person, you can serve the mixture in a lettuce-leaf cup or atop a corn tortilla. Serve with baked potatoes or sweet potatoes and any slaw-style salad. Fresh corn on the cob when in season is a great addition as well. Recipe from Plant Power: Transform Your Kitchen, Plate, and Life with More Than 150 Fresh and Flavorful Vegan Recipes by Nava Atlas. ©2014, published by HarperOne, reprinted by permission. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Serves: 4 to 6
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed in a fine sieve
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or 3 tablespoons broth or water
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ medium green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 (15–16 oz) can pinto or red beans (or 1 ½ cups cooked), drained, rinsed, and coarsely mashed
- 1 (15–16 oz) can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium tomato, finely diced
- 1 tbsp reduced-sodium natural soy sauce or tamari, to taste
- 1 tsp agave nectar or maple syrup, to taste
- 2 tsp good-quality chili powder, or more, to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 6 whole grain rolls, English muffins, or mini-pitas
- Combine the quinoa with 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil, broth, or water in a medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the bell pepper and sauté until both are golden.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the bread of choice, and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook over medium-low heat, loosely covered, for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let the skillet stand off the heat for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle further and for the quinoa to absorb the tomato flavors.
- Evenly spoon the filling over the bottoms of whole-grain rolls, cover with the tops, or serve open-faced.
Per serving: 252 calories with oil, 223 without oil; 5g fat with oil, 2 g fat without oil; 400 mg sodium; 44g carbs; 9g fiber; 4.2g sugar; 11g protein
Here are more: