Crisp cubes of Italian bread mingle with fresh tomatoes in this interpretation of a popular Mediterranean salad. Use only the most flavorful of summer tomatoes for best results. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky. Adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 3 to 4 cups Italian bread, preferably whole grain, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 pounds flavorful ripe tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil, or more to taste
- ⅓ cup chopped or halved green olives
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic or white wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 300 degrees F.
Arrange the bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake until dry and lightly golden, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and toss together. Stir in the bread cubes and allow to stand for 15 minutes or so to allow them to absorb some of the flavors of the tomatoes. Serve at once.
Variation: Make the salad more substantial by adding one 16-ounce can of drained and rinsed chickpeas.
Per serving: Calories: 140; Total fat: 8g; Protein: 3g; Fiber: 3.7g; Carbs: 16g; Sodium: 225mg
- Explore lots more summer tomato recipes.
- Here are more Super Savory Salads.
Leave a Reply