Fully Loaded Vegan Nachos
Here are some super-tasty nachos that can be made with pantry and refrigerator staples in a matter of minutes. Nachos are fun fare no matter what, whether as a snack for a small party, or even as an emergency dinner. Recipe from Plant Power: Transform Your Kitchen, Plate, and Life with More Than 150 Fresh and Flavorful Vegan Recipes by Nava Atlas. © 2014, published by HarperOne, reprinted by permission. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- 4 to 5 ounces natural stone-ground organic tortilla chips
- 1 cup grated vegan cheddar cheese
- 1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, to taste, seeded and thinly sliced, or one 4-ounce can chopped mild green chiles
- ½ cup lightly cooked fresh (or thawed frozen) corn kernels
- ½ cup cooked or canned (drained and rinsed) black, red, or pinto beans
- 1 medium ripe tomato, finely chopped
- 2 or 3 big handfuls baby spinach
- Salsa (your favorite brand), as needed
- Super-Easy Guacamole
- Thinly shredded romaine lettuce
- Arrange the tortilla chips on a large platter or a shallow, round casserole dish, about 14 inches in diameter. Sprinkle evenly with the cheese, followed by the chili peppers, corn, beans, and tomato.
- Bake for 8 minutes, more or less, until the cheese is well melted. Or microwave for 3 minutes.
- Scatter the spinach over the top and return to the oven for 2 minutes or so, or to the microwave for another minute, just until it wilts.
- Serve at once. Pass around salsa to top individual portions, as well as any of the optional garnishes.
Per serving: Calories: 282; Fat: 13g; Protein: 6g; Carbs: 36g; Fiber: 6g; Sodium: 415mg
- Here are more Tasty Vegan Appetizers.