Lime and Coconut Corn Muffins
Cornmeal gives these vegan lime and coconut corn muffins a hearty texture, while the lime and coconut contribute a tropical twist. Recipe and photo by Laura Theodore, from Vegan-Ease: An Easy Guide to Enjoying a Plant-Based Diet. Published by Jazzy Vegetarian LLC, © 2015, reprinted by permission.
- 3 tablespoons flaxseeds
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup fine grind cornmeal
- ½ cup raw unsweetened shredded dried coconut
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup Sucanat, brown sugar or your preferred dry sweetener
- 1½ cups filtered or spring water
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 3½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a twelve-cup standard muffin pan with paper liners.
- Put the flaxseeds in a high-performance blending appliance and process into fine flour. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the whole wheat flour, cornmeal, coconut, baking soda, baking powder and Sucanat (or brown sugar); stir with a dry whisk to combine. Stir in the water, maple syrup and lime juice. Mix just until incorporated.
- Divide the mixture among the lined muffin cups. Bake for 24 to 27 minutes, or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Put the pan on a wire rack. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove the muffins from the pan and cool for about 10 minutes longer. Covered tightly and stored in the refrigerator, leftover muffins will keep for about 3 days.
Per muffin: 168 Calories; 3g Fat; 1g Saturated fat; 3g Protein; 7mg Sodium; 35g Carbs; 15g Sugars; 3g Fiber
* This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!