Power Smoothie (Romaine and Superfood Seeds)
Typically in raw circles, expressions like “power food” refer to Himalayan berries and maca powder and deep sea algae. What I mean by it is pretty simple: foods that are nutrient dense, easy to assimilate, and that give a boost of energy and focus. Per this post, those foods can be as straightforward and everyday as kale or winter squash. Lately, my superfoods of choice have included all of the original ten I mentioned in my “super foods” post, but the focus has been on dark leafy greens, hemp, chia, and nutritional yeast. Oftentimes, I find myself blending all or a few of those into a killer morning smoothie. Contributed by Gena Hamshaw, from Choosing Raw. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Serves 1 generously, or 2 smaller servings
- 1 large frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen mango (or substitute fresh pears or berries)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 cup almond milk (maybe slightly less, if you have a high speed blender)
- 5 large romaine leaves (my new favorite way to cozy up to green smoothies!)
Place all ingredients in a blender, blend, and serve.
Let’s step back for a second to analyze the ingredients, and what makes them so powerful:
- Our hemp and chia seeds give us Omega 3 and 5 fatty acids, complete protein, fiber, and calcium;
- Mango and banana load us up with vitamins B-2 and C, fresh enzymes, potassium, and magnesium;
- While the romaine is responsible for vitamins C, A, K, and folate. Rounded out with the almond milk, this is a seriously nutritious breakfast.
Gena Hamshaw is a Certified Clinical Nutritionist with an emphasis on plant-based nutrition. She works with clients in New York and around the country to find simple, affordable, and lasting steps towards a healthier lifestyle. Visit her at Choosing Raw.
- Enjoy more of VegKitchen’s fruit smoothies.