Roasted Root Vegetable Medley
Oven-roasting brings out the natural sweetness of many vegetables, and this is particularly true in the case of root vegetables. You can vary the vegetables suggested here; for example, if you prefer not to use beets, use more of one of the other types of vegetables; and if you don’t care for parsnips, try golden potatoes.
Serves: 6 or more
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, cut in half lengthwise, and sliced
- 2 medium beets, peeled and sliced (use red or golden beets)
- 1 large turnip, peeled, cut in half, and sliced
- 3 to 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into thick slices on the diagonal
- 2 parsnips, peeled, quartered and cut into approximately 3-inch sections
- 1 medium red onion, quartered and sliced thickly
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Pinch each: Cinnamon, nutmeg
- Fresh rosemary and/or thyme sprigs to taste, optional
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.Prepare all the vegetables as directed, making sure to slice everything into fairly even thicknesses. Place in a parchment-lined roasting pan.
Drizzle with with the olive oil. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so. The vegetables should be tender on the inside and touched with golden brown on the outside.
Season gently with salt and pepper and the optional cinnamon and nutmeg. The veggies will have plenty of flavor of their own; no need to overdo it with seasonings.
Transfer to a covered serving container and keep warm until serving, then garnish with fresh rosemary and/or thyme leaves.