Vegetable Bread Pudding
I’ve long enjoyed making and serving bread puddings, which offer a great way to use up the last few pieces of bread in a loaf and vegetables that are getting a bit tired. This is sort of a cousin to baked stuffings, but with more emphasis on the vegetables than the bread. For a gluten-free version, simply make this using gluten-free bread. However, this works best with a really sturdy crusty bread. Using a softer bread can make this come out mushy.
- 5 slices crusty, dense whole grain bread, torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup unsweetened rice milk or other nondairy milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 to 5 cups finely chopped vegetables of your choice (see options, below)
- 1 grated mozzarella- or cheddar-style nondairy cheese
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sesame or poppy seeds for topping
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Place the torn bread in a mixing bowl and pour the nondairy milk over it. Stir to moisten the bread, then set aside until needed.
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until the golden and just beginning to turn brown.
Add the vegetables of your choice and just enough water to keep the skillet moist; cover and steam until just tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain off any liquid that has remained.
Combine the vegetable mixture with the bread in the bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients. Mix well, then transfer to a shallow 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle a some sesame seeds over the top.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top is golden and just beginning to turn crusty. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes, then cut into squares or wedges to serve.
You can use a single vegetable, or combine two or three. You’ll need a total of 4 to 5 cups raw vegetables, prepared as instructed below.
- Broccoli, finely chopped and steamed
- Cauliflower, finely chopped and steamed
- Small zucchini, thinly sliced
- Peeled and diced eggplant, steamed
- Firm, ripe tomatoes, diced
- Corn kernels (cooked fresh or thawed frozen)
- Mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
Per serving: Calories: 208; Total fat: 13g; Protein: 8g; Fiber: 3.5g; Carbs: 17g; Sodium: 323mg