A carrot is the same shape as a hot dog and close enough in color to make a decent substitute. But what about the taste? I promise you, this marinade really takes it to the next level. I think the sesame oil helps, but the vinegar gives it that “cured” flavor, too. Think of this as a fun vegetable side dish rather than as a main dish. Recipe and photo reprinted with permission from The Easy Vegan Cookbook* by Kathy Hester ©2015, published by Page Street Publishing.
All-Natural Carrot Dogs
- 4 carrots cut into bun lengths
- ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar and a dash of salt
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil or omit for oil-free diets
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos or substitute soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder or ½ clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke
- Pepper to taste
- Toasted hot dog bun lettuce or collard leaves, to serve
- Heat water in a pot large enough for all the carrots. When it comes to a boil, turn down to medium heat and add the carrots. Cook until you can just pierce them through with a fork; you want them to have a snap when you bite into them. Remove from pot and run cold water over them to stop them from cooking.
- In a container with a tight-fitting lid, combine the remaining ingredients to make the marinade. Tighten the lid and shake until well mixed.
- Place the carrots in a container in which they can lie flat. Pour the marinade over them and marinate at least 3 to 4 hours, up to 24. The longer they marinate, the more vinegar flavor they take on. If you know you need to leave them longer than a day, cut the vinegar to ⅛ cup (30 ml). If the carrots are very skinny, keep the marinating time short.
- To serve, heat the carrots in a 350°F oven, or in a grill pan on a hot grill, until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve in a toasted hot dog bun or wrapped in a lettuce or collard leaf, and pile on your favorite toppings.
Tip: You can cook these in your slow cooker in the marinade. You need to check on them so they do not get mushy, so it is not a set-it-and-walk-away affair. Cook until a fork just goes through the carrot but it is still slightly firm.
Per serving: Calories 92.1; Protein: 0.7g; Total fat 3.5g, Carbs: 17.3 g; Sodium:749.7mg, fiber 2g
- Here are lots more recipes for making the most of carrots.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!