Craving the ultimate vegan breakfast burrito? These scrambled tofu burritos are sure to hit the spot!
Tofu sometimes gets a bad rep - and I've even been guilty of going through some anti-tofu stages myself. But really, this ingredient depends entirely on how you cook it.
On its own, tofu is a blank slate, without a lot of flavor. But it is very good at absorbing all of the flavors of the ingredients you cook it with. And this simple tofu burrito has become one of my favorite easy tofu recipes.
This vegan breakfast burrito is:
- Loaded with protein-packed tofu.
- Fun to make and eat.
- A simple vegan breakfast idea.
- 100% vegan and vegetarian friendly.
Tips & Tricks
This tofu burrito makes a great simple vegan breakfast on its own. Or it makes a wonderful addition to a complete vegan brunch spread. (Check out my Vegan Brunch Book here!)
But it also makes a perfect light dinner, when served with some simple roasted veggies or a hearty vegan salad.
I used flour tortillas for these tofu burritos, but you can also use corn. If you're feeling ambitious, you can even make your own corn tortillas.
You can use soft or firm tofu for these burritos, but not extra firm tofu. It won't crumble well enough to feel like a scramble.
Use any salsa of your choosing - and feel free to get creative. I used a typical black bean and corn salsa here. But pineapple salsa, mango salsa, spicy habanero salsa are all great options that add a whole new level of flavor!
You can also add extra veggies to these burritos - such as peppers, onions, or zucchini. Just saute the veggies in the pan before adding the tofu.
Load these burritos up with your favorite toppings too. Some great choices are sliced avocados, black olives, or fresh cilantro. Yum!
More Vegan Breakfast Recipes
If you love these tofu burritos, be sure to check out these other delicious vegan breakfast ideas:
- 8 Best Vegan Pancake Recipes
- Best Savory Vegan Breakfast Recipes
- Make-Ahead Vegan Breakfast Casseroles
Tofu Burrito - Vegan Breakfast Burrito
- 16 ounces firm tofu but not extra-firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 cup salsa any variety, such as black bean and corn
- ½ teaspoon curry powder or to taste
- 6 soft flour tortillas 8 or 10 inch
- 1 ½ cups vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drain the tofu and cut into ½ inch slices. Blot well between layers of paper towel.
- Heat the vegan butter in a medium skillet. Add the tofu and mash with a potato masher or large fork.
- Stir in the salsa and curry powder, then cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, until well heated through. Turn the heat up and cook a little longer if there is excess liquid in the skillet that needs to evaporate.
- Divide the scrambled tofu mixture among the tortillas, placing it the center of each in a kind of oblong mound, leaving room at each end. Sprinkle some cheese over the tofu (about 3 to 4 tablespoons for each tortilla).
- Arrange the burritos open-faced on a baking sheet, and bae in the oven just until the cheese is melted. (Alternatively, you can microwave each for 30 to 40 seconds.) Fold the two ends of the tortilla over the tofu mixture, then roll up the rest. Repeat with each burrito, then serve.
Leave a Reply