This bracing apple cider ginger ale beverage has lots of good things in it — ginger, apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice. This just might become your go-to tonic! You can drink it straight, without the seltzer, if you don’t want the fizz. And you can warm it gently (don’t boil) if you want to drink it hot. Make sure to see the variations below the recipe box.
- 4 cups fresh (preferably organic) apple cider
- 2 tablespoons organic raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated or chopped fresh ginger (see note)
- Seltzer, as desired
- Ice cubes, optional
- Combine 1 cup of the cider with the vinegar, lemon juice, and ginger in a blender and blend until the ginger is smoothly integrated with the liquid.
- Transfer to a quart container and pour in the remaining 3 cups apple cider. Taste to see if you’d like to adjust any of the flavors.
- Serve half-and-half with seltzer or straight up, with or without ice, in cups or mugs. If any is left over, stir the beverage gently before serving again, because some of the ginger will settle.
Note: You can use prepared, squeezable ginger (not the dry ginger spice) in place of fresh ginger; just make sure it’s not filled with preservatives.
- For a “ginger ale” float, serve this over a scoop of vanilla nondairy ice cream in a big tumbler.
- Add a tablespoon or two of maca root powder or other superfood before blending.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon or so of cinnamon before blending.
- Here are more recipes for living juices.