Apple crumbles (otherwise known as apple crisps) are a wonderful way to highlight this well-loved fruit. With an easy-to-prepare oat and wheat germ topping, they are as healthful as they are delicious.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup finely chopped or ground almonds
- 1/3 cup wheat germ, quinoa flakes,
or hemp seeds (or a combination)
- 2 tablespoons natural granulated sugar
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 4 to 5 cups peeled, thinly sliced apples
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Sliced or slivered almonds for topping
- Vanilla nondairy ice cream for serving
Preheat the oven to 350º F.
Combine the first 5 topping ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle in the oil and stir until the dry ingredients are evenly moistened.
Combine the apples, syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a mixing bowl and stir until the the apples are evenly coated with the syrup and spices.
Transfer the apple mixture into a lightly oiled 9- by 9-inch baking pan or round pie plate and pat in evenly. Or, divide among 6 or 8 individual ramekins. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit. If desired, sprinkle the tops with a few sliced or slivered almonds as well.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the topping is golden and turning crisp. Allow to cool until just warm, then serve on its own or topped with a dollop of nondairy ice cream.