This voluminous Apple Pie Oatmeal will remind you of delicious apple pie, but will leave you feeling energized and ready to tackle the day ahead. I like Gala apples in this recipe, but feel free to use any variety that you wish. Gluten-free, oil-free, refined sugar–free, soy-free! Recipe and photo from The Oh She Glows Cookbook* by Angela Liddon. Reprinted by arrangement with Avery, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © Glo Bakery Corporation, 2014.
- 1⁄3 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 medium Gala apple, peeled, cored, and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for serving
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of fine-grain sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, to taste, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts, for serving
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds, for serving
- Pinch of unsweetened shredded coconut, for serving
In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine the oats, apple, chia seeds, applesauce, almond milk, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Whisk well to combine. Bring the mixture to a low boil over medium heat. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring often.
When the mixture has thickened and the liquid has been absorbed, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla and maple syrup to taste.
Pour the oatmeal into a bowl and top it with chopped walnuts, hemp seeds, a pinch of cinnamon, a pinch of shredded coconut, and a drizzle of pure maple syrup.
Visit Angela at Oh She Glows for great vegan recipes and gorgeous photos.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Breakfast Recipes.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!