Here’s an easy salad with a Southwestern flair. A tasty combo of avocado and pinto beans, this goes well with simple quesadillas and other tortilla specialties that don’t themselves contain beans. This also makes a great portable lunch along with stoneground tortilla chips and some seasonal fruit. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- 15- to 16-ounce can drained and rinsed pinto beans (or 1½ to 2 cups cooked), or see Variation below recipe box
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, or to taste
- ¼ cup vinaigrette, prepared or homemade, or as needed to moisten
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 medium avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced
- Combine the beans, tomatoes, cilantro, vinaigrette, and pepper in a serving bowl and toss well. This much can be made ahead.
- Just before serving, stir in the diced avocado.
Variation: Substitute other favorite beans — red, black, pink, etc., for the pinto beans. Whatever you have on hand will be good in this!
- Explore Bean Salads for more easy, tasty ideas.