Here’s an easy salad with a Southwestern flair. A tasty combo of avocado and pinto beans, this goes well with simple quesadillas and other tortilla specialties that don’t themselves contain beans. This also makes a great portable lunch along with stoneground tortilla chips and some seasonal fruit. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Avocado and Pinto Bean Salad
Here’s an easy salad with a Southwestern flair. A tasty combo of avocado and pinto beans, this goes well with simple quesadillas and other tortilla specialties that don’t themselves contain beans.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 3 to 4
- 15- to 16- ounce can drained and rinsed pinto beans or 1 ½ to 2 cups cooked, or see Variation below recipe box
- 2 medium tomatoes diced
- ¼ cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice or to taste
- ¼ cup vinaigrette prepared or homemade, or as needed to moisten
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 medium avocado pitted, peeled, and diced
- Combine the beans, tomatoes, cilantro, vinaigrette, and pepper in a serving bowl and toss well. This much can be made ahead.
- Just before serving, stir in the diced avocado.
Calories: 337kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Sodium: 391mg | Potassium: 953mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 956IU | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 91mg | Iron: 3mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Variation: Substitute other favorite beans — red, black, pink, etc., for the pinto beans. Whatever you have on hand will be good in this!
- Explore Bean Salads for more easy, tasty ideas.
Elizabeth Larson says
Easy enough to make this your tortilla filling........add some raw jalapenos minced and some onion and voila!
Fabulous idea, Elizabeth! Just gave me the idea that one can also add lots of chopped lettuce or baby spinach or arugula, and make an awesome wrap, too.
Gina Pagan says
Love the recipes
This would be yum in a lettuce wrap....especially butter lettuce! Mmm
Any other alternatives to the vinaigrette? I can't can't stand the taste!
Marissa, just add extra lime juice to taste, and if you'd like, a little more olive oil. Or, you can just sub your favorite all-natural salad dressing altogether — it's all about what tastes best to you!
Such a good idea, Susan — thanks!
Thank you, Gina!
Marissa I think even Ranch would be good.
I will be making this tonight!
It is easy and so delicious! I have to do three times bigger portion every time and it disappear in a moment. Perfect when you invite some guests!
Thanks! So glad you enjoyed this.
I would add a little cumin and it would be great with black beans as well.