Here’s an easy salad with a Southwestern flair. A tasty combo of avocado and pinto beans, this goes well with simple quesadillas and other tortilla specialties that don’t themselves contain beans. This also makes a great portable lunch along with stoneground tortilla chips and some seasonal fruit. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Avocado and Pinto Bean Salad
- 15- to 16- ounce can drained and rinsed pinto beans or 1 ½ to 2 cups cooked, or see Variation below recipe box
- 2 medium tomatoes diced
- ¼ cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice or to taste
- ¼ cup vinaigrette prepared or homemade, or as needed to moisten
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 medium avocado pitted, peeled, and diced
- Combine the beans, tomatoes, cilantro, vinaigrette, and pepper in a serving bowl and toss well. This much can be made ahead.
- Just before serving, stir in the diced avocado.
Variation: Substitute other favorite beans — red, black, pink, etc., for the pinto beans. Whatever you have on hand will be good in this!
- Explore Bean Salads for more easy, tasty ideas.