I could eat this vegan avocado toast for breakfast every single day. It's simple, delicious, and crazy easy to throw together.
But watch out for that coconut “bacon.” - it's insanely addictive. 😉 It's made from unsweetened coconut flakes, and then seasoned with tamari, maple syrup, and liquid smoke for the perfect combination of sweet and savory flavors.
Paired with creamy, ripe avocado this avocado toast makes one heck of a vegan breakfast and is a nice alternative to transitional sandwiches and wraps for lunch too.
This recipe came from Greens 24/7: More Than 100 Quick, Easy, and Delicious Recipes for Eating Leafy Greens and Other Green Vegetables at Every Meal, Every Day by Jessica Nadel, © 2014. Photo by Jackie Sobon. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment.
Avocado Toast with Coconut “Bacon”
- 8 slices multigrain bread
- 2 ripe avocados
For the Coconut “Bacon”
- 2½ tablespoons gluten-free tamari
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ tablespoon liquid smoke
- 4 cups unsweetened flaked coconut
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C).
- For the coconut “bacon,” place the tamari, maple syrup, sesame oil, and liquid smoke into a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the coconut flakes and fold them in to coat them in the mixture.
- Spread the coconut onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and place in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, stopping every 10 minutes to stir the coconut and rotate the pan. Once cooked, remove from the oven, sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt, and allow to cool.
- Toast the bread and mash the avocado with a fork. Spread the avocado over the toast, top each piece with coconut bacon, and serve. Any leftover bacon will keep for one month stored in an airtight container.