This layered casserole of tortillas and tofu infused with Southwestern flavors is a favorite go-to recipe for company brunch. I’ve been making it for years and it never fails to please. Serve with a simple bean dish and a salad or slaw.
Baked Tofu-Tortilla Extravaganza
Serves: 6 to 8
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (16 oz) tub firm tofu
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into approximately 1-inch square pieces
- 1 (14–16 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 medium firm, ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 fresh hot green chile pepper, seeded and minced, or 1 (4–8 oz) can chopped mild green chiles
- 1 tsp ground cumin, or more, to taste
- 1 tsp chili powder, or more, to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt to taste
- 1 cup cheddar-style nondairy cheese
- Vegan sour cream (homemade or store-bought) for topping, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut the tofu into ½-inch-thick slices, and blot the slices gently between paper towels or a clean tea towel. Cut the slices into ½-inch dice.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Sauté the onion over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic and tofu dice and continue to sauté until all are golden.
- Combine the tofu mixture with all the remaining ingredients except the last 2 and stir until thoroughly mixed. Pour into an oiled 2-quart casserole dish (round or oval are most attractive, but rectangular works as well) and pat in.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes, then cut into squares or wedges to serve. Pass around sour cream for topping individual servings if desired.
Per serving: 235.2 calories; 13.2g totoal fat; 26g carbs; 4.7g fiber; 6.6g protein; 355.8mg sodium;
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s easy, festive vegan brunch recipes and menus.
- Here are lots more easy tofu recipes.
Leave a Reply