This simple recipe for banana fritters, given to me by a wonderful Jamaican cook, makes a pleasantly offbeat breakfast treat. When my kids were growing up, I found this easy enough to make for breakfast even on school days, on occasion. They're also a nice accompaniment (minus the syrup) to savory dishes like bean stews or spicy dishes. This makes about a dozen fritters.
This simple recipe for banana fritters, given to me by a wonderful Jamaican cook, makes a pleasantly offbeat breakfast treat or an accompaniment to savory dishes.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 3 to 4
- 2 ripe bananas well mashed
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour spelt flour, or gluten-free flour mix
- Pinch each: ground cinnamon and nutmeg
- ½ cup raisins optional
- 1 cup vanilla or plain nondairy milk
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance or other vegan buttery spread or as needed
- Maple syrup or all-fruit preserves optional
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir until just smoothly blended.
- Heat a nonstick griddle or wide skillet and coat lightly with vegan buttery spread.
- Drop the batter onto the hot griddle in scant ¼ cupfuls. Cook each fritter on both sides until golden brown. When flipping to the second side, press down a bit with the spatula to flatten further. This ensures that they'll cook through.
- Serve hot, either on their own or with preserves or maple syrup.
Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 78mg | Potassium: 738mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 541IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 134mg | Iron: 3mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Variation: Add ⅓ to ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans to the batter.
- Click here for more vegan breakfast recipes.
Miriam Tilley says
Or just mash a banana and beat with an egg! Then fry - delicious!
I supposed you can do that, though here at VegKitchen, we don't use eggs — plant-based all the way!
My mother used to make these, and dust with a little confectioner's sugar, but not vegan, I'm certain.
Thanks. I often have overripe bananas, here.
i tried to make these but my batter was solid after i mixed all the ingredients together... what did i do wrong?
Hi Elle — I've made these so many times, not sure what you mean by solid — as two bananas and a cup of nondairy milk make for a very moist batter. Can you elaborate?
Is the Earth balance just to grease the pan or does it go in the batter?
Just to grease the pan, Irene. It adds flavor, too. But you can use a neutral oil if you prefer.
Bali Tour says
i would like to make it
Thanks for the recipe 🙂