Congee is a white rice porridge and exists under different names in all Asian countries.
The principle is very simple. The white rice is cooked for a very long time over a low heat in a large quantity of water or broth until the rice (which is full of water) swells and begins to decompose to form a porridge. Once the porridge has been prepared, it may be accompanied by small pieces of cooked meat, steamed or pan-fried vegetables, spices, herbs, soy sauce, or sesame oil. The varieties are infinite.
Congee is a white rice porridge and exists under different names in all Asian countries.Print Pin Rate Email
- ¾ cup long grain rice
- 9 cups vegetables broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Chopped peanuts and green onions for garnish
- In a large pot, bring the water and rice to a boil.
- When the rice is boiling, turn the heat down to medium-low. Place the lid on the pot—leave a little space to allow the steam to escape.
- Cook on medium-low, stirring occasionally, until the rice has the thick, creamy texture of porridge. This can take about 50 minute.
- Add salt to taste, along with any other desired seasonings.
- Garnish with chopped peanuts and green onion.
Calories: 153kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 2698mg | Potassium: 40mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1126IU | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 1mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Little Plastic Footprint says
I've always been intrigued by this - think I'm finally going to give it a go!