It must be fully admitted that this recipe combining vegan sausage, canned beans, and barbecue sauce screams “emergency dinner!” But it’s spicy, hearty, high in protein, and best of all, ready for the table in about 20 minutes. Some nights, you need a main dish like that, and this one never disappoints. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
BBQ-Flavored White Beans with Sausage and Spinach
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced, optional
- 2 links Tofurky or Field Roast sausage sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Two 15- to 16-ounce cans navy beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup natural barbecue sauce or homemade Quick Vegan Barbecue Sauce
- 4 to 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
- Heat the oil in a wide skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add the garlic and sausage; continue to sauté, stirring frequently, until everything is golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and barbecue sauce. Cook until piping hot, about 4 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cover. When it wilts down a bit, stir it in. Continue to cook for just a minute or so longer. Serve at once.
Per serving: Calories: 380 calories; Total fat: 13g; Protein: 25g; Carbs: 44g; Fiber: 13g; Sodium: 790mg