It must be fully admitted that this recipe combining vegan sausage, canned beans, and barbecue sauce screams “emergency dinner!” But it’s spicy, hearty, high in protein, and best of all, ready for the table in about 20 minutes. Some nights, you need a main dish like that, and this one never disappoints. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
BBQ-Flavored White Beans with Sausage and Spinach
This main dish featuring white beans, spinach, and vegan sausage is spicy, hearty, high in protein, and best of all, ready for the table in about 20 minutes.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced, optional
- 2 links Tofurky or Field Roast sausage sliced ½ inch thick
- Two 15- to 16-ounce cans navy beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup natural barbecue sauce or homemade Quick Vegan Barbecue Sauce
- 4 to 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
- Heat the oil in a wide skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add the garlic and sausage; continue to sauté, stirring frequently, until everything is golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and barbecue sauce. Cook until piping hot, about 4 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cover. When it wilts down a bit, stir it in. Continue to cook for just a minute or so longer. Serve at once.
Calories: 214kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 973mg | Potassium: 370mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin A: 2819IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 2mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Per serving: Calories: 380 calories; Total fat: 13g; Protein: 25g; Carbs: 44g; Fiber: 13g; Sodium: 790mg
- Here are more easy bean main dishes.
- Here are more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes
and more Main Dishes Featuring Grains and/or Beans.
- Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Tofu, Tempeh and
Vegan Sausage Main Dishes.
Qes Ankhti says
I'm trying this tomorrow'