These BBQ Baked Sweet Potato Fries will become your new go-to fries. They're sweet, spicy, and healthier than your favorite fast food!
Coconut oil and sweet potatoes are a match made in foodie heaven. Add a special homemade spice blend that sneaks in a little maca powder, and these BBQ baked sweet potato fries are nothing short of “wow.”
Enjoy more of VegKitchen’s sweet potato recipes.
How to Make BBQ Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Preheat oven.
- Cut sweet potatoes into fries.
- Toss fries with oil and spread onto baking sheets.
- Roast fries in oven until done to your preferred crispness.
- Mix together all dry seasonings in a bowl.
- Once out of the oven, toss fries with seasonings.
- Serve fries with ketchup.
Full directions for how to make BBQ Baked Sweet Potato Fries are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
BBQ Baked Sweet Potato Fries FAQs
Can I use different seasonings for my fries?
You don't have to use BBQ seasoning for your fries. You can use whatever kind of seasoning you prefer. Plain salt is fine, or you can go crazy with curry powder or EBTB seasoning!
Would this recipe work with regular potatoes?
This recipe would definitely work with regular potatoes. You may have to cook your fries a bit longer depending on the potato variety, but everything else should be the same.
How should I store leftover fries?
You can store leftover fries in an airtight container in the fridge. They may get a bit soggy the longer they are stored, but you can reheat them for a bit more crispness.
BBQ Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp mesquite powder
- ½ tsp maca powder
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into long fries, about ½-inch thick.
- Toss with melted coconut oil and spread out flat onto 2 baking sheets.
- Place fries in the oven and roast for about 15–25 minutes, until fries are cooked through and begin to brown. **Cook for an additional 5–10 minutes for crispier fries.
- While the fries are cooking, mix together all the spice powders and remaining dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- When the fries have finished roasting, remove the baking sheets from the oven and immediately sprinkle some of the spice mixture on top, tossing the fries around with a spatula to ensure even coating.
- Serve fries warm with Maqui Ketchup or regular ketchup if desired.
Recipe and photo contributed by Julie Morris. Reprinted with permission from Superfood Kitchen: Cooking with Nature's Most Amazing Foods* © 2012 by Julie Morris, Sterling Epicure, an imprint of Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!
Leave a Reply