This tasty tempeh salad makes a delicious weeknight vegan dinner! It's loaded with BBQ marinated tempeh, fresh veggies, creamy avocado, and topped with a homemade vegan ranch dressing. So good!
I just can't get enough of this flavor packed salad! The contrast of the hearty BBQ tempeh croutons and crisp veggies with the creamy vegan ranch dressing is totally addictive!
The barbecue-flavored tempeh would make any salad hearty and satisfying- and it really takes this from a side dish to something that's completely dinner worthy.
I think it made be my new favorite vegan salad!
Tips & Tricks
If you're new to cooking with tempeh, be sure to check out my tempeh guide too. This staple vegan ingredient is made from fermented soy, and is absolutely loaded with healthy protein.
Feel free to swap the salad greens to any that you prefer. Spicy arugula would work well in this recipe also!
More Vegan Recipes
And if you love this tempeh salad, be sure to check out these other tasty vegan ideas:
- Best Vegan Tofu and Tempeh Recipes
- 20 High Protein Vegan Meals
- Soba Noodles with Tempeh Croutons
- Skillet Potato and Tempeh Hash
Photos by Hannah Kaminsky
BBQ Tempeh Salad with Vegan Ranch Dressing
- 8 ounces tempeh any variety
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 avocado ripe, peeled and diced
- 1 head romaine lettuce small, torn or thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups baby spinach
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halve, or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup carrots pre-grated or thinly sliced
- Vegan Ranch Dressing homemade or bottled (see linked recipe for homemade)
- Cut the tempeh into ¾-inch cubes.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet and sauté over medium heat, stirring often, until beginning to get golden brown.
- Add ½ cup of the barbecue sauce and sauté, covered (otherwise it might splatter) until the sauce is reduced and starting to brown here and there to coat the tempeh, about 8 minutes. Stir in the remaining sauce and continue to cook for another minute or two. Remove from the heat.
- In a serving bowl avocado, romaine, baby spinach, tomatoes, and carrots.
- Dress the salad with vegan ranch or other dressing as desired. Pass around the BBQ tempeh croutons to top individual portions of the salad.