This variation on basic pancakes will delight blueberry fans. Use the smaller, wild blueberries for best results. Frozen (preferably organic) blueberries can be used out of season. Oats add a nice texture. Photos by Evan Atlas.
This variation on basic pancakes will delight blueberry fans. Use the smaller, wild blueberris for best results.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup quick-cooking rolled oats oatmeal
- ¼ cup oat bran or wheat germ or just use more oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds optional
- ¾ cup nondairy yogurt coconut yogurt is great in this
- 1 to 1 ¼ cups unsweetened nondairy milk or as needed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen wild blueberries
- Vegan buttery spread (such as Earth Balance0
- Pure maple syrup or all-fruit preserves
- Combine the first 6 (dry) ingredients in a mixing bowl, plus the optional flaxseeds. Stir together well.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the yogurt and nondairy milk. Stir with a whisk until the batter is just smooth; it should have an easy-to-pour consistency, but not too thin. Don't overbeat.
- Place the blueberries in a small bowl and sprinkle with flour until they are lightly and evenly coated (this will help prevent the pancakes form turning completely blue). Gently stir them into the batter.
- Heat a nonstick griddle or a large, nonstick skillet that has been lightly coated with vegan buttery spread. Ladle on the batter in amounts enough to form 3- to 4-inch pancakes. Cook on both sides until golden brown. Serve hot with maple syrup or preserves.
Calories: 281kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 368mg | Potassium: 361mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 69IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 243mg | Iron: 3mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Here are more Vegan Breakfast Recipes to start your day.
My kids found a little bland. Maybe next time i could replace some of the milk with maple syrup.