This luscious and nutty Broccoli, Apple, and Peanut Soup gets a touch of sweetness from apple. The nut butter in the recipe gives it a rich flavor. In my home, this has long been a fall favorite. Adapted from Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons.
Broccoli, Apple, and Peanut Soup
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 (32 oz) carton vegetable broth or 4 cups water with 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 ½ tsp good-quality curry powder
- 2 tsp fresh or jarred ginger, grated
- ⅔ cup natural cashew or peanut butter
- 6 heaping cups finely chopped broccoli florets
- juice of ½–1 lemon, to taste
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- roasted cashews or peanuts for garnish, optional
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onions and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent. Add the garlic and carrots and continue to sauté until the onions are golden.
- Add the broth (or water with bouillon cubes), apples, curry powder, and ginger. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the carrots and apple are tender. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer the solid ingredients from the soup to a food processor with a slotted spoon. Process until just coarsely pureed, leaving plenty of chunks of carrot. Stir the puree back into the soup pot. Or, insert an immersion blender into the pot and process until coarsely pureed.
- Add the nut butter to the soup, about half at a time, whisking in until completely blended with the stock. Return to very low heat.
- Steam the broccoli in a saucepan with about ¼ cup water, covered, until brightly colored and tender-crisp to your liking. Stir into the soup along with any remaining liquid. If you'd like, reserve a cup or so of the broccoli for topping individual servings of soup.
- If the soup is too thick, add enough additional water to give the soup a medium-thick consistency. Add the lemon juice, then season with salt and pepper. Serve at once, passing around cashews or peanuts for topping, if desired.
- Warm yourself up with more fall harvest soup recipes.
- Explore other delicious vegan soup recipes at Soulful Soups.
I love the idea of this recipe but find it too heavy for the heart with the added olive oil & the broth (even 99% fat broth still contains 64% RDA for fat). To make this a heart-healthy soup without all the fat & sodium, I recommend using carrot juice as the base instead of stock. Or, if you have a juicer, blend carrot, celery, kale & parsley for the broth. Even Vegans still need to watch out for how quickly fat and salt collect in the body when we used pre-made foods such as bouillon and broth!
pardon me, I meant to write "even 99% fat-free still contains 64% RDA for fat"!
I make my own veggie broth at home with water and veggie scraps and spices (no salt). I don't see where there would be a problem with ANY fat or sodium in that! Olive oil does have heart healthy benefits as well if used in moderation. I'm sure you could leave it out and "water saute" or use an olive oil spray and it would still be delish. :)) I'm planning on making this soon! I think my kids, with their love of broccoli and peanuts, will love this soup!
Let us know how they like it, Tricia!