This attractive dish has a subtle sweet flavor and the crunch of toasted walnuts. Double this recipe for a great winter holiday grain dish—it's perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners. Recipe adapted from Vicki's Vegan Kitchen by Vicki Chelf ©2011, Square One Publishing, reprinted by permission.
Bulgur and Sweet Potato Pilaf
This attractive dish has a subtle sweet flavor and the crunch of toasted walnuts. Double this recipe for a great winter holiday grain dish—it's perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners.Print Pin Rate Email
- 2 ¼ cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes finely diced (peel if desired, or scrub well to keep peel on)
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup bulgur cracked wheat; or substitute quinoa for a gluten-free variation
- 5 or 6 fresh sage leaves thinly sliced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced dried apricots
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Minced fresh parsley for garnish
- Bring the water to a boil in a small pot and add the bouillon cube, which will begin to dissolve. Reduce the heat to very low to keep warm.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the celery, sweet potatoes, and garlic, and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, adding small amounts of water to keep the skillet moist.
- Add the bulgur and sage, stir a minute, then add the apricots and turmeric.
- Mix well and carefully add the bouillon liquid (it will sizzle and splatter). Cover immediately, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff the pilaf with a fork, and season with salt and pepper. Top with walnuts and parsley, and serve.
Calories: 371kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 9g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 247mg | Potassium: 701mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 16335IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 2mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Enjoy more of VegKitchen's sweet potato recipes.
- Here are more healthy whole grain recipes.
- Return to A Colorful Vegan Christmas (Vegetarians Welcome!) for a complete listing of holiday dinner recipes.
- Here are more recipes to enjoy a Vegetarian and Vegan Friendly Thanksgiving.
SO good and easy. Thank you!!!
So glad you enjoyed it, Josie!