This simple pasta dish, filled with flavorful asparagus and artichokes, is sure to please in late spring and early summer. This can be served warm or at room temperature. Serve with a salad featuring chickpeas (I especially like this with Chickpea Salad with Roasted Peppers, Tomatoes, and Basil) and fresh corn on the cob. Photos by Rachael Braun.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 8 ounces pasta twists (rotelli, rotini, or cavatappi, preferably whole-grain)
- 10 to 12 ounces asparagus
- 8-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, with liquid, chopped
- 1 large firm, ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes (preferably moist but not oil-cured)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, or more, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Vegan Parmesan cheese, optional (but highly recommended)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Dried hot red pepper flakes to taste
Cook the pasta in rapidly simmering water until al dente.
Meanwhile, trim about 1/2 inch off of bottom of the asparagus stalks. Scrape the bottom halves of thicker stalks with a vegetable peeler, then cut them into approximately 1 1/2-inch lengths.
Once the pasta is just about done, plunge the asparagus into the simmering water for a minute, just until bright green, then drain both in the same colander
Combine the pasta and asparagus in a serving bowl with the remaining ingredients and toss well. Serve at once or let cool and serve just warm or at room temperature.