Here’s a tasty chickpea chopped salad that may just become your go-to sandwich spread or wrap filling. Or, just add a scoop to a green salad to add protein. Filled with olives, cucumbers, peppers, and sunflower seeds, this is both comforting and crunchy all at once. It’s great for a portable lunch for work or school, too. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Chickpea Chopped Salad
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped carrots or baby carrots
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cucumber remove watery seeds
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped bell pepper any color
- 1 or 2 scallions green parts only
- 1/4 cup pitted olives green, black, or a combination
- 15- to 16- ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast optional
- 2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place the carrots in a food processor. Pulse on and off a few times.
- Add the cucumber, bell pepper, and scallions. Pulse on and off until everything is finely and evenly chopped.
- Add the chickpeas, mayo, mustard, lemon juice, dill, and optional yeast. Pulse on and off until nicely combined. Don’t over-process!
- Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl. Stir in the sunflower seeds and season with pepper.
- Serve as suggested in the headnote; store leftovers in a tightly lidded container in the refrigerator.
- Here are lots more vegan sandwiches and wraps.