Serve this hearty salad of chickpeas, vegan mozzarella, and zucchini on its own as a first course preceding a lighter pasta dinner (see some tempting possibilities in Pasta on the Lighter Side). If you’re a basil fan, use as much as you’d like. If not, substitute another herb, like parsley.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 can (15-16 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4-5 oz vegan mozzarella, finely diced
- 1 jar (6-8 oz) roasted peppers, cut into narrow strips
- 1 small zucchini, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup green or black olives, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-4 tbsp lemon juice (juice of ~1 lemon), to taste
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped, to taste
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- mixed baby greens, as desired (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients in a serving bowl and mix well.
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or so before serving to allow the flavors to blend.