This tasty stew of chickpeas and tomatoes, flavored with lots of ginger, is vegan, wheat-free, low fat, and best of all, delicious! Recipe from Taste Life! Organic Recipes* (2002) by Leslie Cerier. Reprinted by permission of Square One Publishers.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 cups chopped ripe tomatoes
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated ginger, to taste
- 1 ½ to 2 cups cooked chickpeas
(or one 15- to 16-ounce can, drained and rinsed)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ to ½ cup cilantro, chopped
Heat the oil in a medium skillet Sauté onions, ginger, and tomatoes over medium heat until the tomatoes are juicy, about 10 minutes.
Add chick peas, and spices. Stir and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes longer, to allow flavors to blend.
Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cilantro and serve hot or at room temperature.
- Here are more easy bean main dishes.
- Here are more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Main Dishes Featuring Grains and/or Beans.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!