A happy compromise between an energy bar and a decadent dessert, these crispy, chewy, sweet squares are delightful and can be enjoyed however you prefer. Kid friendly, dietitian-approved, these treats are perfect for on-the-go. Recipe from The Vegiterranean Diet: The New and Improved Mediterranean Eating Plan — with Deliciously Satisfying Vegan Recipes for Optimal Health* by Julianna Hever © 2014 Da Capo Lifelong Book, reprinted by permission. Photos by Nicole Axeworthy.
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- ¼ cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips (grain-sweetened, if possible)
- 1 cup puffed rice cereal
- In a food processor, puree the dates and the raisins until smooth, 20 to 30 seconds. Add the walnuts and the sesame seeds, and process until combined, 10 to 20 seconds.
- Pulse in the chocolate chips and then the cereal. In between additions, use a spatula or a wooden spoon to break up the ball and to incorporate the other ingredients.
- Transfer the mixture to a silicon or glass 8 x 8-inch square dish, and press firmly and evenly into the dish. Cover and refrigerate until hardened, at least 1 hour.
- Cut into bars and serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up 4 to 5 days.
- Visit Julieanna Hever at The Plant-Based Dietician.
* This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!