There are many excellent pasta sauces on the market, and they can't be beat for convenience. But they can't compare to a homemade marinara, and the wonderful aroma that will permeate your kitchen as it cooks!
Serves: about 6 (enough for 1 pound of pasta)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup stemmed and thinly sliced small mushrooms, optional
- 28-ounce can pureed tomatoes
- 14- to 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 14- to 16-ounce can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup dry red wine, optional
- ½ teaspoon each: dried oregano, basil, thyme, and marjoram
(or substitute 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and onion and sauté over low heat until golden about 2 to 3 minutes.
Add all the remaining ingredients except the salt and pepper and bring gently to a simmer. Cover and simmer very gently for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over hot cooked pasta or use as a sauce for lasagna or eggplant dishes.
- Here are lots more recipes for simple sauces and such.
Leave a Reply