Whether you’re in need of a side dish for an everyday dinner or looking for a dish to share at a potluck or outdoor meal, you’ll find this lively potato salad quite pleasing. Green peas, bell peppers, olives, and herbs enliven a classic salad. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Colorful and Creamy Potato Salad
- 5 medium-large red-skinned or golden potatoes
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise or Cashew Cream or more, as desired
- 2 teaspoons yellow or Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 celery stalks diced, optional
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely diced
- 1/2 cup thawed frozen green peas steamed
- 1/2 cup green pimiento olives halved or chopped
- 2 scallions thinly sliced,optional
- 2 to 4 tablespoons minced fresh dill or parsley or a combination, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- If you plan on keeping the skins on the potatoes, scrub them well. Microwave or bake the potatoes in their skins until done but still firm. Or, you can cut them into approximately 3/4-inch chunks and steam them in a medium saucepan until cooked to your liking, about 15 minutes.
- Whichever way you've cooked or baked the potatoes, let them cool to room temperature. If you've baked or microwaved, If you prefer to peel the potatoes, slip their skins off; otherwise leave them on and cut into approximately 3/4-inch chunks. Place the potato chunks in a serving container.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix gently but thoroughly. Serve at once or cover and refrigerate until needed.
Variation: Substitute a sweet potato for one or two of the regular potatoes.
- See more of VegKitchen’s recipes for potato salads.