This vegan cornbread is a perfect companion to all sorts of bean stews and chilis. Consider adding the optional chilies and nondairy cheese, which give this pan bread a moist texture as well as a major yum factor. And since cornbread is only as good as it is fresh, see how to to turn any leftovers into a delicious stuffing for a subsequent meal. This makes one 9-inch pan bread (12 servings) or 1 dozen muffinsRecipe from Plant Power: Transform Your Kitchen, Plate, and Life with More Than 150 Fresh and Flavorful Vegan Recipes by Nava Atlas. ©2014, published by HarperOne, reprinted by permission. Photo by Hannah Kaminsky.
Corn Kernel Cornbread or Muffins
- 1 cup cornmeal preferably stone-ground
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup unsweetened nondairy milk of your choice or more as needed
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels thawed
- 1 small hot fresh chili pepper such as jalapeño, seeded and minced, or one 4-ounce can diced mild green chilies (optional)
- 1 cup grated nondairy cheddar-style cheese optional
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Combine the first five ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour in the applesauce, oil, and
- nondairy milk. Stir until well combined, adding more nondairy milk if needed to make a smooth, slightly stiff batter. Stir in the corn kernels and the chilies and cheese, if desired.
- Pour the batter into an oiled 9 × 9-inch baking pan or divide among a foil-lined 12-cup muffin tin. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the top is golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool until just warm. Cut the pan bread into 12 sections; for muffins, transfer them to a serving plate, leaving them in the foil liners.
Per serving or muffin: Calories: 104; Fat: 3g; Protein: 2g; Carbs: 18g; Fiber: 2g; Sodium: 340mg
Leftover Cornbread Skillet Stuffing
Heat a small amount of olive oil in a medium skillet. Sauté a chopped onion and two diced celery stalks until lightly browned.
Crumble leftover cornbread (I usually use ⅓ to ½ a pan) into the skillet. Drizzle with ½ to 1 cup vegetable stock or water—just enough to moisten the crumbs without making them mushy.
Season with 2 to 3 teaspoons salt-free all-purpose seasoning blend or any other kind of seasoning you enjoy, then stir in about ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley and, if you like, a couple of thinly sliced scallions. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture is touched with golden brown here and there. Season with salt and pepper.
- Here are more Vegan Quick Breads.