Though this tasty Country Captain Stew bears a passing resemblance to the classic East Indian mulligatawny, it’s actually an adaptation of a classic curried chicken stew recipe from the American South. This meatless version substitutes chunks of tofu or seitan. The harmony of sweet and savory flavors in a curried base is most appealing. Serve with a crusty whole-grain bread. Adapted from Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- 14- to 16-ounce tub firm tofu or 12 to 16 ounces seitan
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 3 medium potatoes, scrubbed and cut into ½-inch dice
- 14- to 16 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 2 teaspoons good quality curry powder, or more,to taste
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger, or more, to taste
- ½ cup dark raisins
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Dried hot red papper flakes, to taste, optional
- Plain non-dairy yogurt (soy or coconut) or vegan sour cream for topping, optional
- If using tofu, cut it crosswise into ½-inch-thick slices, and blot between clean tea towels or paper towels. If using seitan, drain and cut into small bite-sized chunks.
- Heat half of the oil in a soup pot. Add the tofu or seitan and sautë over medium high heat, stirring frequently, until golden on both sides. Remove to a plate and set aside until needed.
- Heat the remaining oil in the soup pot. Add the onion and garlic and sauté over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is golden, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, potatoes, tomatoes, apples, curry powder, ginger, and 3 cups water. Bring to a simmer, then simmer gently, covered, for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are done.
- Stir in the tofu or seitan, raisins, and half of the cilantro or parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper and the optional red pepper flakes. Cook over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes longer.
- Stir in the remaining cilantro or parsley. Top each serving with a scoop of vegan yogurt or sour cream, if desired.
Per serving: Calories: 333; Total fat: 14g; Protein: 17g; Fiber: 7g; Carbs: 44g; Sodium: 25mg
- Sample more recipes for global stews.