This mild side dish of couscous, green peas, and toasted cashews or pine nuts is a nice complement to vegetable curries. It’s also a nice accompaniment to roasted winter vegetables such as Roasted Root Vegetable Medley.
Serves: 4 to 6 as a side dish
- 1 1/2 cups couscous, preferably whole grain
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance or other vegan buttery spread,
or 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green peas, thawed and steamed
- 1/2 cup toasted cashew pieces or pine nuts
- 1/2 cup dark raisins
- 2 to 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste), optional but highly recommended
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Place the couscous in a steep-sided skillet or stir-fry pan and pour 3 cups boiling water over it. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. If the mixture needs more moisture, stir in a small amount of water. Turn the heat up to medium high and cook for 5 minutes or so, until everything is well heated through and the flavors melded. Serve straight from the pan.
- Here are more healthy whole grain recipes.