It is hard to believe that something that can be whipped up in a matter of minutes can be so good, but it really is! Makes enough for 1 pound of pasta. With additional nutritional yeast, this can be used as a cheese sauce for lasagna. You can vary this by sautéing onions, mushrooms, diced red bell peppers or other vegetables first, then adding the other ingredients. Contributed by Miyoko Schinner. Make sure to view the related video demonstrating how to make this delicious sauce.
Creamy and Rich Vegan Alfredo Sauce for Fettucine
Makes: Enough for 1 pound of pasta
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews (soaked for several hours if possible,
especially if you do not have a strong blender)
- 3 ½ cups water
- 4 to 5 cloves of garlic (or more), minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast flakes (or more for a cheesier taste)
- ⅓ cup white wine
- Place cashews and water in a blender and blend for several minutes until absolutely white and creamy.
- Pour mixture into a heavy-bottom sauce pan and turn heat on medium low. Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook for several minutes until thick and creamy, stirring with a wooden spoon often to prevent sticking on the bottom. If too thick, adjust by adding additional water. Pour over cooked fettucine, sprinkle with parsley if desired, and serve immediately.
Variations: Grill or roast portabello mushrooms, thinly sliced butternut squash, or baby spinach, and combine with fettucine before serving.
Visit Miyoko’s Kitchen on the web.