It's back to the 1960s with these hearty (but not heavy) crunchy granola muffins! Use your favorite homemade or bulk-purchased granola for these easy vegan muffins. If you want to do the from-scratch route, try our Classic Crunchy Granola — a perfect fit! These make a nice breakfast, on-the-go snack, and are fabulous with a cup of coffee or tea on a cold day. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Crunchy Granola Muffins
These hearty muffins make a nice breakfast, on-the-go snack, and are fabulous with a cup of coffee or tea on a cold day.Print Pin Rate Email
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ or ground flaxseeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup natural granulated sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- ⅓ cup plain or vanilla nondairy milk or as needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granola divided
- ½ cup chocolate chips optional
- ¼ cup raisins dried cranberries, or dried cherries, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the first 6 (dry) ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the applesauce, oil, and enough nondairy milk to make a smooth, stiff batter. Stir together until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in ⅔ cup of the granola, followed by the optional chocolate chips and dried fruit. Using dried fruit is recommended if your granola doesn’t contain any.
- Divide the batter among 12 foil-lined muffin tins.
- Sprinkle the remaining granola evenly over the tops of the muffins.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins are golden and a knife inserted into the center of one tests clean. When cool enough to handle, transfer the muffins to a plate or rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Calories: 207kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 172mg | Potassium: 171mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 34IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 1mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Enjoy more muffin recipes in our Muffin Mania category.
Aimee Brimmer says
These are REALLY yummy! I used Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola. I didn't add the raisins this time, but think I will next time around. I also forgot to add the granola on top, but they were still amazing. They aren't super sweet, which I appreciate. My whole family enjoyed them. Thank you. 🙂