Yogurt-based relishes such as Indian raitas provide a refreshing contrast to spicy dishes. This cucumber raita-inspired recipe takes the idea a bit further afield with coconut yogurt and more herbs than are usually called for. Coconut yogurt works beautifully to create a vegan version. Make sure to use crisp, flavorful cucumbers.
- 1 medium-large crisp and flavorful cucumber
or ½ to ⅔ of a long English cucumber (no need to peel or seed)
- ⅔ cup (6-ounce container) plain coconut yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice, or more, to taste
- ½ cup chopped fresh herbs (choose 2 to 3 from among
cilantro, mint, parsley, dill, and chives or scallion)
- Pinch ground cumin
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
If using a regular cucumber, make sure it's unwaxed. Quarter it lengthwise. If the seeds look watery, trim them away, then cut into approximately ¼-inch-thick slices. If using an English cucumber, do the same, though you won't need to trim away the seeds.
Combine the yogurt and lemon or lime juice in a small bowl. Whisk together until the yogurt has lost its clumsiness. Don't be tempted to skip this step!
Combine the cucumber and yogurt in a serving container along with the remaining ingredients. Stir together gently. Chill before serving, or serve at once.
- Here are lots more recipes for salsas, chutneys, and relishes.
Leave a Reply