Here’s a delicious and colorful couscous dish, embellished with peas, cashews, dried fruits, and curry spices. It's ready in minutes, leaving you plenty of time to build a meal around it. This is very nice served with vegetable curries or simple bean dishes. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 cup couscous, preferably whole grain
- 1 cup frozen green peas, completely thawed
- 2 tablespoons fragrant nut oil (such as walnut or dark sesame)
- ½ cup chopped cashews
- 1 teaspoon good-quality curry powder, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh or jarred ginger, or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ cup raisins, dried cherries, or dried cranberries
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the couscous with 2 cups water in a wide skillet or stir-fry pan. Bring to a simmer, then cover and let stand off the heat for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
Add the remaining ingredients, stir together well, then cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes longer. Transfer to a serving container, and serve at once.
Variation: For an even more nutritious, and gluten-free dish, use quinoa instead of couscous.
Per serving: 414 calories; 16g fat; 90mg sodium; 59g carbs; 6g fiber; 11g protein
- Here are more healthy whole grain recipes.