This Curry Popcorn and Nuts recipe makes a seasoned popcorn mixture that has a lingering bite. It makes a spicy “adult” snack that is great at parties. Recipe contributed by Nikki and David Goldbeck, from American Wholefoods Cuisine.* Visit the Goldbecks at HealthyHighways.com. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Curry Popcorn and Nuts
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- ½ cup peanuts or almonds
- ½ cup unroasted cashews
- ½ cup popping corn
- ¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut, optional
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Heat the oil in a large, broad pot with a tight-fitting lid. Sauté turmeric, cumin, sesame seeds, peanuts, and cashews over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes until aromatic but not more than very lightly colored.
- Add popping corn, cover, turn heat to high and cook, shaking until popping is over, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and toss in optional coconut and remaining seasonings.
- Let cool to room temperature before serving. Store any unused portions in an airtight container.
- Explore VegKitchen’s selection of flavorful snacks and dips.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!
This post was originally published on 19 July 2011.