Wholesome and seductive all at once, this moist vegan banana bread is wonderful with tea or as a sweet yet healthy part of breakfast or lunch. Adapted from Vegan Express.
Makes 1 loaf
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup natural granulated sugar
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons dry unsweetened cocoa, optional
- 2 medium ripe bananas, well mashed
- 1/2 cup applesauce or apple butter
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1/3 cup plain or vanilla nondairy milk, or as needed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dried apricots or raisins
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts, optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine the first 5 (dry) ingredients, plus the cocoa powder if using, in a mixing bowl and stir together.
Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the bananas, applesauce, oil, and enough nondairy milk to make a smooth, stiff batter. Stir until thoroughly mixed, then stir in the dried fruit and optional walnuts.
Pour the batter into a lightly oiled 9-by 5-by 3-inch loaf pan (or, you can use a 9- by 9-inch shallow pan, or 3 mini-loaf pans). Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in the loaf pan, or 30 to 40 minutes in the shallow pan or mini-loaf pans) or until the top is firm and a knife inserted into the center tests clean.
When cool enough to handle, carefully remove the bread from the pan, place it on a rack or platter, and allow it to cool until just warm before slicing.
Per serving: 145 calories; 3g fat; 4g protein; 30g carbs; 3g fiber; 0mg sodium