Thanksgiving isn’t the same without pumpkin pie. But if you’re looking for something different and delicious that your guests willl go crazy over, you’ve found it. Recipe and photos contributed by Susan Voisin, FatFree Vegan Kitchen.
Makes 8 slices
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 12.3-ounce package ﬁrm or extra-firm silken tofu
- 1/2 cup agave nectar (or sugar)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (fresh or canned)
- 2 teaspoons rum (optional)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar or natural sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon grated fresh (please!) nutmeg
- 1 pre-made 8-inch graham cracker crust
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Put the 6 ingredients (vegan cream cheese through vanilla) in a food processor and puree until completely smooth. It should be silky smooth–not chalky or lumpy.
Remove a cup of this mixture from the processor and spread it in the bottom of the crust.
Add the next set of ingredients (pumpkin through nutmeg) to the ingredients remaining in the food processor and process until well blended. Smooth it care- fully over the white layer in the crust, heaping it slightly in the middle. Bake until the center is almost set, about 50 to 60 minutes.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 3 hours. Serve to delighted guests (don’t tell them it’s vegan, and they won’t know!).