Are you on the hunt for the perfect peanut butter cookie? Well these Easy Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies are really gonna hit the spot! You only need one bowl for this vegan cookie recipe. It's loaded with sweet peanut butter flavor in each bite.
This peanut butter cookie recipe is a classic. For me, peanut butter cookies are a must-have item in my recipe collection. They come together quickly and taste irresistible!
This Easy Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies recipe is...
- Easily made with gluten-free flour
- Made with nuts or nut-free
- Easy to make
And while you're here, don't forget to grab a copy of my free vegan cheat sheet. It's packed with all my favorite substitutions to vegan-ize any recipe!
How to Make Easy Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
- Preheat the oven and prep your pan.
- Add your ingredients into a bowl.
- Mix well with a pastry cutter or fork.
- Form cookies and place on a baking sheet.
- Add the classic fork lines to the tops of the cookies.
- Bake, cool, and serve.
Full directions on how to make Easy Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Tips & Tricks for Easy Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
Mixing the Dough
I used a pastry cutter to mix the dough, but you can also use a fork. You want your dough to be well mixed to get to the proper consistency.
Making the Lines
The classic look of peanut butter cookies include cross hatched lines on top. You can make these lines by pressing a fork into the cookie to leave tine marks. Press the fork into the cookie in both directions. Adding these lines is optional, but it is the classic way to bake this kind of cookies.
Variations to Easy Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
Add a dusting of sea salt on top of the cookies. The salt will enhance the flavor of the peanut butter in the cookies. Just a light sprinkle will do.
Creamy vs Crunchy
You can use creamy or crunchy peanut butter for this recipe. I switch back and forth between the two depending on my mood. Both types of peanut butter taste delicious in this recipe.
You can dip half your cookie in vegan melted chocolate or drizzle chocolate over the top. You could also mix some chocolate chips into the dough before baking, or add a large chocolate, like a Hershes kiss, to the middle. This is a fun way to enjoy a bit more sweetness!
Easy Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies FAQs
How should I store these cookies?
You can store your cookies in an airtight container on the counter. The cookies will store for 3–5 days. After that, you will find that the cookies can really become dried out.
Do peanut butter cookies freeze well?
You can go right ahead and freeze any cookies you don't plan to eat right away. Just place them in a freezer bag or container. They will last in the freezer for 3–4 months. When you're ready to eat them again, simply thaw the cookies on the counter for an hour or so, and then enjoy.
Can you double this recipe?
Feel free to make extra cookies. This recipe will double well—just batch cook the cookies, and then cool them on a cooling rack.
Easy Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
- 2 cups peanut butter smooth, crunchy, or a combo; at room temperature
- 1 cup flour whole wheat, pastry, spelt, or einkorn
- 1 cup natural granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Work dough ingredients together with a pastry blender or the tines of a large fork until completely blended.
- Scoop the dough up by rounded tablespoons, or a bit more if you’d like larger cookies. Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Flatten the dough lightly with your palm, then press down lightly with a regular-sized fork in two directions to make that cool criss-cross pattern that peanut butter cookies are known for.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes, or until the bottom of the cookies are golden brown.
- Allow cookies to cool for a bit to firm up, then transfer to a plate or container. Store cookies covered at room temperature.
Here are more vegan cookies and bars to enjoy.