If you’d like some protein in your guacamole and chips, blending the prime ingredient — avocado — with edamame (fresh green soybeans) is a great way to do so. If you don’t care for soy products, you can substitute baby lima beans or even green peas. Make the dip smooth or chunky, as you prefer. Photos by Evan Atlas.
If you’d like some protein with your guacamole and chips, blending the prime ingredient — avocado — with edamame (fresh green soybeans) is a great way to do so.Print Pin Rate Email
- 1 cup shelled edamame fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice plus more to taste
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 to 2 scallions green parts only, chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small hot fresh chile pepper like jalapeño, seeded and chopped, or one 4- to 6-ounce can chopped mild chiles
- 1 medium ripe avocado pitted and peeled
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook the edamame in gently simmering water for about 8 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- Combine the edamame in a food processor with ¼ cup water, the lemon or lime juice, and cilantro. Process until smooth.
- Add the hot chile pepper or canned chiles and the avocado (large chunks are fine) and either pulse on and off to leave it chunky, or let the processor run if you’d like it to be smoothly blended with the edamame.
- Scrape the mixture into a small serving container. Taste and add more lemon or lime juice if you’d like, and season with salt and pepper. Serve at once with tortilla chips.
Calories: 68kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 237mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 141IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 1mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Variation: Serve as a dip with raw vegetables like baby carrots or carrot sticks, bell pepper chunks, and small cauliflower florets.
Here are more tasty vegan snacks and dips.
Leave a Reply