If you’re looking for new cabbage recipes, this recipe is a great alternative to slaw or stuffed cabbage. When cabbage is cooked down, as it is here, it becomes a very tender, almost buttery, sweet vegetable. Called Ye’tikil gomen be’timatim in Ethiopian, this recipe for Ethiopian Stewed Cabbage in Golden Tomato Sauce is perfect to serve with inejra or Quick Teff Crêpes. Recipe and photo from Teff Love: Adventures in Vegan Ethiopian Cooking* by Kittee Berns © 2015, Book Publishing Company, reprinted by permission.
See also Tender Kale with Carrots, Onion, and Mild Spices as a filling. For complete how-to on making authentic Ethiopian injera (the spongy moist flatbread shown in the photo), refer to the aforementioned book!
Ethiopian Stewed Cabbage in Golden Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup white or yellow onion slivered and cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic pressed or grated (1 tbsp)
- 2 tsp peeled and grated fresh ginger
- ½ tsp salt plus more if desired
- ½ green cabbage cut into 1-inch pieces (7 cups)
- 1 to mato cut into ¾-inch pieces (1 cup)
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 –2 jalapeño chiles seeded, veined, and cut into thin strips
- black pepper freshly ground
- Put the onion, oil, garlic, ginger, and salt in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent sticking or burning, until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, tomato, and turmeric and stir well to combine. Cover and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Add the chiles, cover, and cook until the cabbage is very tender, about 5 minutes longer.
- Season to taste with pepper and additional salt if desired, then serve.
Per cup: 182 calories, 4g protein; 12g fat ; 18g carbs; 6g fiber; 6g fiber; 198 mg sodium
Visit Kittee Berns at Cake Maker to the Stars.
- For more cabbage recipes, see Cabbages and Lettuces — Beyond Salads.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!