This savory medley of whole grains and vegetables in a tomato base will warm you when the weather gets nippy. Photo courtesy of Mehitable Days. Adapted from Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons.
Serves: 8 or more
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 large celery stalks, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- One 28-ounce can pureed or crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup bulgur
- 1/4 cup wild rice
- 1/4 cup millet or quinoa
- 1/4 cup pearl or pot barley
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose seasoning blend (such as Spike or Mrs. Dash)
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes, until translucent.
Add the celery, carrots, sweet potato, tomatoes, the four grains, bay leaves, and seasoning blend. Stir in 6 cups water and bring to a gentle boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer gently for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes or so.
If the soup is too dense, adjust with additional water and return to a gentle simmer. Add the dill and season with salt and pepper. Simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until the grains and vegetables are tender.
If time allows, let the soup stand off the heat for an hour or two before serving, then heat through as needed. This soup thickens quite a bit as it stands. Add water as needed and adjust the seasonings.
Per serving: Calories: 193; Total fat: 4g; Protein: 6g; Fiber: 6g; Carbs: 37g; Sodium: 55mg
- Explore other recipes for hearty winter soups.