Here’s a delicious salsa that highlights summer corn, which comes to market at about the same time as tomatillos. Delicious served as an appetizer with tortilla chips, this refrigerates even better than fresh tomato salsa, so it’s a good one to make ahead. Recipe adapted from Vegan Holiday Kitchen. Photos by Susan Voisin.
Make about 2 cups
- 2 medium ears fresh corn, lightly cooked or grilled
- 6 to 8 tomatillos, husked and quartered
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, to taste
- 1 to 2 small fresh hot chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 medium red onion, coarsely chopped, or 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lime or lemon
- Salt to taste
When the corn is cool enough to handle, stand each ear on its flat end. Using a downward motion of a sharp knife, cut the kernels off.
Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor. Pulse on and off until the mixture is coarsely and evenly chopped. Don’t puree!
Transfer to a serving container. Serve at once or cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Here are lots more recipes for salsas, chutneys, and relishes.