When fresh berries are in season, there's nothing better to serve over cakes, pies, or nondairy ice cream than this Fresh Blueberry Sauce.
This is one of the simplest and most delicious ways to use up an abundance of blueberries! This simple sauce cooks up in just 15 minutes and is delicious served over cold vanilla ice cream or atop pancakes or waffles.
You can even swap the berries or use a mixture of fresh raspberries, strawberries, or even ripe cherries for a completely new twist!
Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Fresh Blueberry Sauce
This fresh blueberry sauce is quick, easy, and perfect for summer!Print Pin Rate Email
- 2 cups fresh blueberries about 1 pint; can also use raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, or pitted cherries
- ½ cup apple juice or pomegranate juice
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1 tbsp maple syrup can substitute agave nectar, add more to taste
- Wash the blueberries well.
- Combine the blueberries in a medium-sized saucepan with apple juice. Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently for 5 to 10 minutes, or until all the berries have softened and burst.
- Dissolve the arrowroot powder in a small amount of cold water (1-2 tbsp). Stir slowly into the berry mixture and simmer for another minute or so, until it has thickened.
- Stir in the maple syrup or your sweetener of choice. Add additional sweetener, to taste. Let the blueberry sauce cool to room temperature before serving.
This sauce can be made with other types of berries as well. Use small berries such as blueberries or raspberries whole. If using strawberries, remove hulls and chop strawberries into approximately ½-inch chunks.
Calories: 51kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 0.4g | Fat: 0.2g | Saturated Fat: 0.02g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.03g | Sodium: 2mg | Potassium: 67mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 27IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 0.2mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Leave a Reply